Disaster Management Resources
Regional Disaster Risk Management For Sustainable Tourism in the Caribbean Project
The Caribbean Disaster Emergency Response Agency (CDERA) with the support of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and in collaboration with the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO); CARICOM Regional Organization for Standards and Quality (CROSQ); and the University of the West Indies (UWI) implemented the Regional DRM for Sustainable Tourism in the Caribbean Project between January 2007 and June 2010.
The project was designed to contribute to the reduction of the vulnerability of the Tourism sector in the Caribbean to natural hazards through the development of a Regional Public Good (RPG) which is the Regional Disaster Risk Management (DRM) Framework for Tourism in the Caribbean. Also developed was a Strategy and Plan of Action for Standards for Conducting Hazard Mapping, Vulnerability Assessment and Economic Valuation for Risk Assessment for the Tourism Sector in the Caribbean.
Under the DRM Framework, a Regional DRM Strategy and Plan of Action for the Tourism Sector was developed through the collective action of regional as well as national stakeholders in both the Tourism and disaster management sectors. Specifically, the Strategy addresses the elements of: mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery which include rehabilitation, and reconstruction.
The Strategy and Plan of Action also supports the provisions of the Comprehensive Disaster Management (CDM) Framework as well as the Caribbean Regional Sustainable Tourism Policy which has been prepared by the CTO.
- Manual for Baseline Data Collection at the Country Level: Pages 1 -15; 16 – 31; 32- 52
- Guidance for National Adaptation of the Regional Disaster Risk Management Strategy and Plan of Action for the Tourism Sector in the Caribbean.
Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4; Part 5;
- Guide for the Development of National Disaster Risk Management Strategies for the Tourism Sector in the Caribbean
- Disaster Risk Management Strategy and Plan of Action for the Tourism Sector in the Caribbean (Part 1)
- Disaster Risk Management Strategy for the Tourism Sector in the Caribbean (Part 2) – Plan of Action, 1-22; Pages 23 – 44
- Standard for Conducting Hazard Mapping, Vulnerability Assessment and Economic Valuation for Risk Assessment for the Tourism Sector.
Pages 1 – 24; Pages 25 – 49; Pages 50 – 70
- Estrategia y plan de acción para la gestión del riesgo de desastres en el sector turístico del Caribe – 1ra parte
- Estrategia para la gestión del riesgo de desastres en el sector turístico del Caribe – Plan de acción – 2da parte
Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA): http://www.cdera.org
Multi-Hazard Contingency Planning Manual for the Caribbean Tourism Sector
A publication of the OAS/CDERA Project for Tourism Disaster Planning Enhancement in the Caribbean
This Multi-Hazard Contingency Planning Manual integrates three previously developed documents:
• Hurricane Procedures Manual, 2006 revision, revised by CDERA. November 2006;
• Model Institutional Framework for Disaster Management for the Tourism Sector in Caribbean Countries, prepared
by CDERA, November 2006; and
• Multi-Hazard Plan for Caribbean Tourism, drafted by Criterion Strategies, Inc., January 2007.
Hurricane Tracking for the Atlantic & Pacific Oceans: http://hurricane.terrapin.com/
USA National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov
FEMA Hurricane information: http://www.fema.gov/hazard/hurricane/index.shtm