State of the Industry Conference Papers
- 2016 - Barbados
Sept. 14-16, 2016
Keynote: Adam Stewart, CEO, Sandals Resorts International & The ATL Group
I know what you’re thinking, on the topic of legacy and future, it seems as though my lineage has made me uniquely qualified to address this topic…Not so…The truth is, we all find ourselves at the same cross roads. I may be an obvious embodiment of past and possibility, but each of us carries the burden and benefit of of all that came before and each of us is obligated to the responsibility of the of the future…
Address by Hon. Richard Sealy, Minister of Tourism and Transport, Barbados at the Opening Ceremony of SOTIC2016
Colleagues from the region, and numerous tourism players from beyond, this Conference is taking place at a very timely juncture for tourism destinations like ours.
There is at present buzz on about the Caribbean as the ideal holiday and business destination. We therefore have a unique opportunity to reflect more intently on the paths which we follow to create unique experiences while ensuring the sustainability of our industry.
- 2015 - Curacao
October 22, 2015
Keynote: Robin Hayes, CEO, JetBlue
It’s now been 13 years since our first flight to the region – a bit of a humble start with a single route from our home base at Kennedy Airport in New York to San Juan. As an airline based in the Big Apple, with its huge Puerto Rican-born population, this market was a natural fit and maybe a safe bet for us to begin exploring the region. From day one, JetBlue’s model has been about identifying markets that are underserved, overpriced – or both – and stimulating traffic with lower fares and a higher standard of service.
Champions of Tourism Letter Delivery
The Champions of Tourism Letter is an Open Letter urging governments to really champion for the tourism industry in their country. The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) has already presented 75 Open Letters to heads of governments globally. Together with the UNWTO and the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), the Caribbean Tourism Organization presented two letters.
General Session I: Our Leaders Say “Visioning the Future Tourism 2025”
1. Dr. the Hon. Rufus Ewing, Premier, Turks & Caicos Islands;
2. Hon. Clyde Van Putten, Leader of Government, St. Eustatius;
3. Hon. Richard L. Sealy, Minister of Tourism and International Transport, Barbados;
4. Helen Marano, Vice President, Government & Industry Affairs, World Travel and Tourism Council;
5. Gordon “Butch” Stewart, Chairman, Sandals International;
6. Robin Hayes, President and CEO, JetBlue Airways;
7. Carlos Vogeler, Director – Executive Secretary of Member Relations, UN World Tourism Organization;
8. Emil Lee, President, Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association;
9. Hugh Riley, Secretary General and CEO, Caribbean Tourism Organization
General Session II: “Get Personal – Engagement Marketing For Better Business”
1. Caroline Coyle Vidmar, Vice President, Brand Strategy, Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Bureau;
2. Melissa Benhaim, Account Executive, Cheryl Andrews Marketing Communications;
3. Vidya Chadaga, Director, Product Marketing, Marketo (by Skype).
Workshop Creative Tourism By Caroline Couret
The Caribbean, with its unique landscapes, its rich traditions and its locals’ friendliness, has been inspiring the most outstanding artists and creative people for centuries. It is therefore the best place for creative tourists to discover and experience the local culture while participating in a wide array of authentic activities.
Date: October 23, 2015
General Session III: Facilitation: At Your Service – Making Travel Easier
1. Carlos Vogeler, Executive Secretary, United Nations World Tourism Organization;
2. Christopher Thompson, President and CEO, Brand USA;
3. Lionel Van Der Walt, Area Manager, Caribbean, International Air Transport Association (IATA);
4. Isabel Hill, Director, National Travel and Tourism Office, U.S. Department of Commerce
General Session IV: “The Age of Innovation – Increasing ROI”
1. Karolin Troubetzkoy, Owner and Manager, Anse Chastanet/Jade Mountain, Saint Lucia;
2. Maurice Jenkins, Director of Information Systems, Miami/Dade International Airport.
General Session V: “Business Opportunities: Teach Me to Niche”
1. David Paisley, Senior Research Director, Community Marketing & Insight, Inc.;
2. Ting Ting Yang, Senior Marketing Strategist, Google;
3. Leah Marville – Chief Executive Officer, My Destination Weekend.
State of the Industry Conference 2015 Press Conference
International tourist arrivals in the Caribbean continue to be strong with 5.8 per cent increase through June, outpacing all major regions of the world. For the first six months the Caribbean welcomed 14.8 million, approximately 800 thousand or 5.8 per cent higher than the corresponding period in 2014, well above the 4.1 per cent recorded globally.